Appointed in January 2006, John McDonough serves as the city manager of Sandy Springs, Georgia and is responsible for the oversight and management of one of the most extensive applications of public-private partnerships (PPP) for the provision of local government services in the country. Mr. McDonough is recognized as a leading authority on the implementation of public/private partnerships and has presented nationally and internationally on the concept and benefits to local governments. He has provided advisory assistance to numerous cities in the United States as well as to cities overseas. He has also served as an advisor, under a Japanese government grant, to cities in Japan that are considering transitioning to the Public/Private Partnership model.
In addition, Mr. McDonough led the formation of the Chattahoochee River 9-1-1 Authority (ChatComm), started in 2009, in partnership with the City of Johns Creek; and the formation of the North Fulton Regional Radio System Authority, started in 2013, in partnership with the cities of Roswell, Milton and Alpharetta.
Under Mr. McDonough’s leadership, the City is recognized with a multitude of awards including:
- The prestigious Innovation Award from the National Council for Public-Private Partnerships
- A runner up in the 2010 Pioneer Institute Better Government Competition for the City’s utilization of the Public/Private Partnerships
- Two Crown Community awards for the start-up of the fire department and improving cardiac survival rates
- Ranked 4th in CNN/Money Magazine’s Best Places to Live
- 2011 Keep Georgia Beautiful Award for New Park Development (Overlook Park)
- Named a Government Trailblazer by the Center for Civic Innovation
- 911 Government Leader Award in 2012
- Pride of India Award in 2015
- Received a Aaa Bond Rating from Moody’s Investors Service in 2015
Prior to joining the City of Sandy Springs, Mr. McDonough served as city manager of Beaufort, S.C. and other South Carolina cities. He holds a Master of Public Affairs degree from Indiana University and a Bachelor of Arts in political science from The Citadel, The Military College of South Carolina. Mr. McDonough is a graduate of the 2007 Regional Leadership Institute of Atlanta.
Mr. McDonough is a colonel (retired) with more than 26 years of active and reserve service in the U.S. Marine Corps. He currently serves as a Board Member for the Sandy Springs Perimeter Chamber of Commerce and as Vice President of the Georgia City/County Manager’s Association.